Sunday, April 29, 2012

Chapter 9 Reflection: Gatsby's Lonely Grave

"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther.... And then one fine morning—So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."  FitzGerald does a good job of conveying to his readers the moral of his story.  Through symbols and imagery we see that Gatsby was looking for greed not love.  He also talks about time.  Time can give us the illusion that people will not change or their intentions are good.  The book ends on a happy note.  He tells us that even though Gatsby has died life still moves on.  Not only will it move on it will move faster and the people in this world will try harder.  It gives hope to FitzGerald's readers.  I was a bit disappointed with the ending, because Tom did not get what was coming for him.  Nick was still nonjudgmental even though everyone around him seemed not to care about Gatsby's death.  Tom even blamed everything on Gatsby.  I would have liked to see Nick stand up for what he believed in.  Nick should have given Tom a piece of his mind.  Nevertheless I enjoyed this book thoroughly.  It paints a good picture of the corrupt society.  It makes you think twice about correlating money with the American Dream.  Tom had all the money that he could have, but look at his life now.  He is in a pointless marriage with a girl that only wants to be protected and sheltered.  She has no courage and seemingly no heart to do anything of much significance.  Tom is the typical control freak that voices his opinions to dead ears.  Tom, to me, is like a person on a blow horn speaking to a crowd of deaf people.  He is ignorant of the fact that no one cares what he says at all, this is because of his over extended ego.  His enlarged ego creates a protective bubble surrounding himself.  Tom and Daisy are protected by the superficial shell of West Egg.  There will come a day for them when someone comes along and snaps their lives into reality and finally wakes them up to the monstrosity of their lives.  God Bless You Gatsby!!!

3 comments:

  1. I do not agree that Gatsby was looking for greed not love. I believe that Gatsby's greed was for Love itself. All he wanted was to be loved, even if he had to steal that love from another. I also agree with your point about how Tom should have gotten some form of punishment. However I do not think Nick should have been the one to deliver on that by stating his mind. nick is the nonjudgmental, sweet guy. If the author would have written Nick to do that, it would have changed Nick's character completely and not for the better. All in all I think the author did an amazing job writing this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this exchange you two. Nice work - great insight Avery; I like what you say about correlating money with the American Dream. That can be a very dangerous thing that goes awry somewhere. Nice response Heather - good work clarifying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about how corrupt society is and such. I do disagree with your comment about how Gatsby is only looking for greed not love. I believe he was looking for greed to find love. I also do believe that tom avoided everything even though some of it was his fault. Nick should have said something, but he's not like that. He was always quietly observing everything the whole time.

    ReplyDelete