Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Chapter 5 Reflection: J. Gatsby & Daisy Meet Again

It is very obvious to say that the meeting between Daisy and Gatsby was awkward.  Nonetheless I admire Gatsby's love and devotion to Daisy, although it is a very unhealthy habit.  Devoting that much time and effort into one girl is hazardous and can be self destructive.  Gatsby was waiting for five years to meet Daisy again.  Gatsby needs to take a step back and  reprioritize his life.  Anyway I think that Daisy has no grasp on how to live.  The "American Dream" is not just about getting expensive stuff, and I would even tell you that it is not important at all.  When Daisy pressed her face into the fancy shirts and was crying, it made me look in curiosity.  What was more important to her?  Was it that she had such a wealthy man wanting her hand in marriage or was it that she had a man that loved her so much and she would finally be away from Tom?  Which of these were more important to her?  If she valued one of these more than the other would it affect her life in a positive or a negative way?  I think crying in a pile of shirts, just because they are beautiful, borders on psychotic.  Even if she did have a legitimate emotional reason for doing that she did not have to cry in a pile of sheets...  Nick is going to be blamed by Tom for being involved in all of this.  Nick needs to get a grip on how to handle situations like this.  It is good not to judge others but do it in moderation of what you know is right.  Stand up for what you believe in do not just sit there and tolerate it.  There needs to be a balance of morals.  Between what you do and what you do not do.  Gatsby wasted his life working up one woman.  He is going to have a tight grip on this girl and she is going to slip out of his hands like soap.  Good Luck Gatsby!

1 comment:

  1. I think that the shirts were a symbol that Gatsby was finally good enough for Daisy. I am sure she wanted to be away from Tom in a way because you can tell she is very unhappy with him and that their relationship is completely fake. I agree that crying into the shirts is very strange but I don't think she is just doing it because their so beautiful. I also agree with what you said about Nick. I have been so wrapped up with Gatsby and Daisy I honestly completely forget about him. He is getting sucked into their materialistic things and is getting involved in things he probably should not get involved in.

    ReplyDelete